It’s the law!
Fire permits required

South Hampton now has a Fire Warden and three Deputy Fire
Wardens.  If you need a fire permit, just call one of us.

Fred Kozacka—Fire Warden
Rat Moore—Deputy Fire Warden
Ed Campbell—Deputy Fire Warden
Dan Stolworthy—Deputy Fire Warden
Open Burn Permits (RSA 227-L:17(II)

Anyone who wishes to burn clean, ordinary combustibles such as leaves, brush or untreated lumber,
or have a camp or cooking fire, must have written permission from the landowner and a fire permit
from the local fire warden or local fire department in the town or city where the fire will be kindled.  You
must be at least 18 years of age to obtain a written fire permit.

What you can burn and when

Only leaves, woody debris or brush less than 5 inches in diameter, or untreated wood and dimension
lumber can be burned.  For any open burning, a written fire permit is required.  Even with the permit,
no open burning between the hours of 9:00AM and 5:00PM unless it is raining.

Other information

  • Fire must be attended at all times or completely extinguished
  • Fires must be no closer than 50 feet from a structure
  • A permit is needed even if it is raining
  • You should have fire protection—a hose, shovel or rake.
  • You are liable for the costs of extinguishing escaped fires
  • No permit is needed if the ground where you are burning is completely covered with snow.  
    However, check with fire wardens for restrictions